Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What I'm Reading...

I've previously confessed that I am quite the nerd and truly love reading and learning. I love to read fiction books and can never get enough of Karen Kingsbury, Francine Rivers, Nicholas Sparks, and many more. (those are my faves) But I also like to read books to learn and grow, as a person, wife/mother, and in my relationship with Christ. I recently shared about The Sacred Marriage, and if you haven't checked that book out yet you are truly missing out. I wanted to share my heart and reviews of 2 books I'm reading/finishing currently.

Becoming a wife was completely new territory to me. But becoming a stepmother, at the same time, was even more intimidating. I have had tons of experience working with and relating to children, but no experience parenting them. Of course, I had ideas, but nothing more than that. So, when Scott and I became engaged I found this book, The Smart Stepmom, in LifeWay and decided it would definitely be worth my while to take advantage of the knowledge of others to help me/us in our new journey. Let me tell you what, it has been the best book. I have slowly read it, as I'm finishing it now...took me a little while with endo, wedding, work, and family vying for my attention. If you are a stepparent, know someone who is, or are moving down the road toward marrying a man/woman with children (young or adult), you should read this book. It is real and includes stories from real families who struggle, have power struggles, and includes practical advice for blending families successfully. Whether you are embracing a "ex-spouse in-law" or coming into the marriage after loss of spouse due to death, this book is challenging, encouraging, insightful, and full of wisdom from counselors who share their heart while also sharing truth from God's word. I am trying to be a Smart Stepmom and may need to read this book quite a few times. :)
 I think I have also confessed before that I am recovering from being someone held captive by insecurity. I can't explain why or how it all started, but I can tell you I have fought this battle for more years than I care to share. From never feeling good enough, always questioning myself for being too much or not enough, looking for acceptance everywhere I turned, allowing what others thought of me to be the driving force in my life, to having many jacked up relationships because my identity was found in them instead of Jesus. I have struggled. I feel like insecurity has been my demon to fight for many years.

I started being open with my struggles with a close friend of mine. She, too, shared these enslaving thoughts and patterns of insecurity. She bought me So Long Insecurity, by Beth Moore, and we started going through this together. It has been quite an amazing journey through this book! If you know anything about Beth Moore, you know that she is an amazing woman of God who knows His truth and shares it in amazing ways. To know that SHE struggles with insecurity was almost comforting. What was more comforting was to hear how God has, and continues, to deliver her from the chains it tries to wrap around your heart and mind.
Reading this book has been truly life changing for me. In the intro, Beth shares these words that set the tone for the rest of the book: "Insecurity among women is epidemic, but it is not incurable. Don't expect it to go away quietly, however. We're going to have to let truth scream louder to our souls than the lies that have infected us. That's what this book is all about. It invites us to focus solidly on one issue that causes countless others." The chapters are so real and shoot straight. From starting out in chapter one, Mad Enough to Change, to the therapeutic chapter nine, A Time & Place to Heal, this book is amazing. God has truly inspired some amazing words that Beth has shared to help women, like me, heal. If you have ever struggled with this debilitating condition of insecurity, I highly recommend this book. We can't get out of this pit on our own. We must rely on the strength of Christ to get us out. As Beth says, "We get to ask for a supernatural act of God Himself. We get to draw from the bottomless sea of divine strength."


Leaving you today with this truth and encouragement for your soul, "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything , according to His will, he hears us. And if we know that He hears us--whatever we ask--we know that we have what we asked of Him." 1 John 5:14-15 "God wills for us to walk out the depth and breadth of our lives with dignity and security. Neither God nor you have anything to gain by your persistent insecurity." (pg. 163, Moore)

Love you dear friends, families, and complete strangers. Hoping these books help you thrive and be all God has called you to be! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment