Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Confession

I will confess something to you. I am a nerd. It's okay. You can laugh or tease...I embrace this. I like to watch Jeopardy, solve puzzles, and I LOVE to read.

This summer, I decided it was time to reread Pride and Prejudice, and loved every minute of it.
Now I am finishing up Sacred Marriage, by Gary Thomas. Our Pastor had recommended this book, saying he felt like it was the best book he had ever read on the subject of marriage, so I decided to check it out.
I definitely agree. It is a fabulous book. However, I must warn you. You will miss out on ALL that God wants to teach YOU through this book if you read and think "oh, my spouse needs to read this" because of something your spouse is/isn't doing. It is an interesting book and an easy to read book, but it can be hard to get through because God gets all over you about issues YOU need to deal with. It truly has been a great book and I highly recommend it!

I read something yesterday that I wanted to share with you. Single, married, it doesn't matter. It deals with the spiritual discipline of practicing God's presence.
"A general rule for the good use of time is to accustom oneself to live in a continual dependence on the Spirit of God, receiving from moment to moment whatever it pleases him to give us, referring to him at once in the doubts which we necessarily run into, turning to him in the weakness into which goodness slips from exhaustion, calling on him and lifting oneself to him, when the heart, swept away by material things, sees itself led imperceptibly off the path and finds itself forgetting and drifting away from God." (Francois Fenelon, Sacred Marriage, pg. 229)

"Christian spirituality can be described as our consistent efforts to respond to the delights and demands of God's presence in our life" (Sacred Marriage, pg. 229)

Fighting the busyness of life, the noise all around, and maintaining a level of continual, consistent communication with God through it all is my goal. I want my thoughts taken captive and my thoughts turned to Him. I know that I will become a better wife and mother if I am in a state of continual communication with Him. I pursue a daily relationship with Him, through quiet time, but have let this discipline of constantly being in His presence slip my focus lately. Turning. Turning to Him and back to Him. So thankful that He loves me enough to speak, correct, love, and encourage me. He loves you too! Not sure, check this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment