Thursday, September 29, 2011

Smells of Home



When I was growing up, something that always fascinated me was the smells of houses. Okay, not like the literal structure, but the smells you smelt as you walked in a home. I remember that all my friends had a different smell in their house, and I could often smell that same smell on them as I played with them. No smell was ever bad, it was all unique and different.

I wondered about how my home would smell when I was "grown up". This morning, I happened to be thinking of this as I returned from taking the girls to school and walked in to our home.

Our house is a house of many smells. We do not have a constant smell. It is ever changing, and that is okay with me. It depends on the time of day you walk into our house as to how it will smell. :)

If you happen to come in before 9 am, you will be greeted with the strong smells of coffee, eggs, and bacon (egg whites and turkey bacon, that is). As these are the ingredients to Scott's morning breakfast sandwich that I send off with him to work, along with a travel mug full of coffee (8 O'clock Coffee is our fave at the moment). Coffee that he delicately blends a special blend of cream and sugar that I can never quite perfect. :)

If you come in around 4pm, you will be greeted with scents of candles burning. Right now, we have Cinnamon & Sugar, Pumpkin Spice, and Pomegranate Cider all filling the air with their delicious complimentary scents that make the house smell exactly like Autumn...at least I think it does. Today I splurged and spent a whopping $4 on one of our favorite scent accessories, a cinnamon broom. So that is also added into the mix.

If you come in anytime between 6-8pm, you may smell the subtle fragrance of hydraulic oil, Loctite, and general machine shop smells. That means that my amazing husband is home from his crazy long work days and has hit the shower to get all cleaned up. :)

Also around that time, you will also smell the scent of whatever happens to be cooking for dinner that night. Our classic faves are spaghetti/baked spaghetti, Mexican/tacos, mushroom chicken, pork chops, chicken/shrimp stir fry, pizza, or something yummy in the crock pot.

I wonder what the inhabitants of this DeWeil house smell like to others. Hopefully it is a perfect blend of love, joy, and close family...whatever that smell may be. (with maybe a hint of some sweet smelling fabric softener in there also)

Happy smelling!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment